Residential Theatre Workshop led by Váli Theatre Lab
From 1 to 16 August 2021 at Nordisk Teaterlaboratorium-Odin Teatret
“TERRAEMOTUS” is a residential theatre workshop with a pedagogical and performative aim.
At the end the participants will present an open work demonstration.
The two weeks will be also an occasion to meet possible collaborators for the future projects of Váli Theatre Lab.
As a part of the pedagogical offer of the workshop, the participants will have the chance to see two performances of Julia Varley (Odin Teatret):
- The Dead Brother Performance/work demonstration by and with Julia Varley
- The Castle of Holstebro Performance with Julia Varley directed by Eugenio Barba
PRESENTATION OF THE WORKSHOP
Valerio Peroni and Alice Occhiali, will lead the workshop offering a professional experience in the field of theatre.
Using their skills in synergy, they will guide the participants to discover the complexity and variety of the different tools that are the basics of the work of their company Váli Theatre Lab.
The co-conduction will create a pedagogical space in which there will be different perspectives and focusses within several fields.
Every participant will be solicited and helped to express her/himself through theatre techniques that start from a physical approach.
Using the actor’s psycho-physical training each participant will develop attention and stage presence, rediscovering and exploring their bodies, voice and imagination in a creative way.
Váli Theatre Lab especially focuses its research on the dramaturgy of the actors.
This terminology refers to the creative/expressive process of the actor, conceived as work of composition and montage of actions (physical, vocal and inner).
Their practice is based on sessions of physical and vocal training focused on different principle of the dramatic art, giving to the participants some tools to be on stage.
Through individual and group exercises, the work will explore the study of the scenic action, using training that will involve body, voice and imagination.
The aim is to create a bridge from the pre-expressive level to the expressive one: from training to creating and staging of original material produced by the actors.
Each participant will work on a character linked to the theme proposed, creating scores (sequences) of actions in relation to a text, a song and an object or costume through a work of improvisation and physical composition (rhythms, dynamic qualities, postures and use of objects). This part of the work, focused on the creation of characters, will give life to a final work demonstration.
Daily work will be divided into two parts:
-The first part will focus on the psycho-physical training of the actor through theatrical exercises and improvisations that will develop the attention and the stage presence.
- The second part will focus on the creation of characters, on their elaboration and on the possibility of finding relationships between them. A work in progress demonstration/performance will be created through this approach.
COURSE CONTENTS AND PEDAGOGICAL TOOLS
- Work on actor's dramaturgy in its various phases: starting from training arriving to the creation of characters.
- Study of stage actions: physical, vocal and inner
- Work on the parameter of stage actions: speed, volume and intensity
- Develop attention and stage presence
- Work with music to explore body, voice and imagination in a creative way
- Action and reaction
- Relationship with space, objects, oneself, partners
- Use of improvisation techniques to increase stage presence
- Work on scores (sequences) of actions in relation to a text, a song, and an object or element of the costume.
- Work on improvisations and physical compositions to create characters connected to a proposed theme (rhythms, dynamic qualities, postures and use of objects)
-Work on the composition of images
THEME OF THE CREATIVE PROCESS
“TERRAEMOTUS” is a Latin word that means “movement, quake, shaking of the earth”.
It is the composition of two words: “Terrae” that means “Earth” and “Motus” that means “quake, movement”.
In the vocabulary the word “Earthquake” is defined like this:
- “A sudden violent shaking of the ground, typically causing great destruction, as a result of movements within the earth's crust or volcanic action.”
- “A great upheaval. An upheaval is a violent and sudden change that affects people’s lives.”
These two definitions will be the base of the work:
- The first will be an inspiration to work on qualities of movement, from training to the creation of characters. Moreover, it will be the trigger to build images and atmospheres that will create the dramaturgical and staging outlines of the work in progress demonstration.
- The second definition will guide the creative work of the participants. Each of them will invent characters that experienced a strong life upheaval. Could be inner or external (emotional, political, social, etc.)
“As in an earthquake they have been shaken and overturn from their daily routine.
They start to live in a world where all the normal rules of nature are upside down.
A place where what they are used to think ‘normal’ is not like that anymore.
For them nothing is certain any longer and what before was impossible suddenly
How will life be in this brand-new world?”